Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Part II - My Best Friend

I know for a fact that I would be a more well-rounded mother if Liz were still here. While we shared a lot of traits, we still had our own special interests. For me, she often opened me up to new ideas and new trends that I don't know I would have otherwise found on my own. For instance, she was the first to start sharing blogs with me. Oh Happy Day is one I remember she shared with me often. If she were here, I'm certain that we'd be trading secrets on how to get our toddlers to nap longer and how we could sneak in a little exercise when they do.


I don't have a close Mommy friend to share those ideas with now. Most of my other friends either aren't married, don't have kids, or we just have too different of a parenting style to connect on that level. I have this missing part or rather this missing person that I can't have numerous conversations with. Her daughter and my son would have been our number one topic of conversation - the Quinny or the Orbit? Spanish or Sign language? Nanny or Daycare?


Other Mommies that I've met at baby classes or playgroups just aren't working for me. I guess it's the history that I had with Liz that makes her irreplaceable. Motherhood would have just been our latest endeavor. We had already waded through years of getting to know each other - the person inside this new Mommy figure. The evolution of me to, well, this new me.


She's part of the reason for this blog - a way to have those missing conversations. She's part of the reason why I'm the mother that I am today - striving to find the inspirations she would have brought into my life. I don't know how I've gotten through the last 2 years without her, but somehow she influences me (this new Mommy me) in surprising ways.


mattlogelin.com

thelizlogelinfoundation.org

1 comment:

  1. Every mama needs what you are missing. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete